Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Cessation of Sectarian Violence


I am overjoyed to report that the long-standing sectarian violence between Nuzzles, Overlord of the Underworld, and the Coalition of the Tiny, Angus the Gray and Annabelle the Impaler, has come to an end. Perhaps the fact that Angus is now up to a whopping 3.4 pounds in weight, and Annabelle up to 4.5 pounds was a contributing factor. Together, however, they still weigh significantly less than the 14 pound Nuzzles. Armed with Annabelle's trenchant and penetrating claws, and assisted by Angus's shrewd cunning, the two have managed to convince Nuzzles of the wisdom in ending hostilities. The barriers have now come down, allowing free access of all feline beings to all three levels, the Underworld, the Main House, and the Loft. (Yarn and fiber is, for the most part, contained.)

It's time to play: WHAT'S THAT SMELL?

Actually, I pretty much *know* what the smell is. It's fish. Doug bagged up several more pounds of halibut last night. But the smell? Where????? Truly, I washed the floor at 10 p.m. when he was finished, and he *swore* that he wiped down all the counters when he was finished. The answer: the sponge.

My Love/Hate Relationship with Variegated Yarn


Okay, so here's my problem. This is Mountain Colors yarn, the big skein, which should make an entire sweater. The idea here was to swatch by knitting the sleeves first, and then calculate the number of stitches to cast on, based on that generous swatch. I'm knitting in the round. What I hadn't quite figured on was the pooling of the colors. It started out just fine, with lovely, rich tones of jewels, and some brown, in rather random short stripes. As I reached the top of the sleeve, WHOA! Blobs. Big ones. The question is, do I accept this as a beauty possible only with variegated yarn, or do I frog the sleeve (again) and re-knit back and forth, or, as suggested by my Knitting Savant friend, do I divide the humongous ball into two smaller balls and re-knit, alternating balls? If the first option is exercised, should I then knit the body of the sweater in the round, too? I hadn't planned on it, but it certainly is a possibility, if I can work up the gumption again to steek.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tina T-P said...

Hi Yvonne - looks like you had a grand time while your DH was out fishing - and what a nice treat to have fresh fish (except for the smelly sponge - why do they do that? - husbands, not the sponges)
Also glad to see that the kitties have come to a truce (maybe we should send them over to the middle east?)
I gave Deb Carpenter a beautiful fleece last week for the fair project. At least we thought it was beautiful - hope everyone else does too.
Take care - Tina

10:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just catching up with your posts Yvonne. Hurray for the end of sectarian violence. Just goes to show you, if kitties can do it....

10:58 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hi Yvonne,
So glad to see the progress with the felines! You'd never know they were fighters just a month ago, by this photo!
btw, thanks for helping me with my blog!
Nan

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home