Monday, June 05, 2006

Spinning Conference 2006


I spent the weekend at Northwest Regional Spinners’ Association Conference, with several of my very favorite people. Here are Nancy, Janice, Denise, Dee Dee, and Melissa, all bright and enthusiastic women, all treasures.

Spinning conference is always fun and educational. The gathering of (mostly) women from different places, different backgrounds,and different life experiences who all share a love of fiber and spinning is enriching to all. This year was the best so far, in my opinion. Thank you, Melissa, and all the committee who put so much time & energy into planning an extraordinarily enjoyable weekend!

I took two all-day classes, so I didn’t get much time to spin in the gym, but somehow managed to squeeze in a more-than-adequate job of shopping at the vendors’ booths. This year, I actually managed to *remember* to put a new pad of checks in the checkbook before I left, a fact that brought me happiness (but probably not my hubby once he takes a look at the register). I’d just like to say that shopping at conference takes skill and forethought. And you’ve got to be quick sometimes, like I wasn’t when I came across a ball of to-die-for purple roving that vanished in the blink of an eye. Whoever bought that must have been a Master Ninja Shopper. It will be a challenge to duplicate that color in my dyepot, but I’ll give it a try. :-)

Here are a few photos from the ABC’s of Color Blending class, taught by Jill Laski. We started out with just the primary colors of top, and blended them to create the color wheel. In the next exercise, we chose our own proportions of primary colors, blended, and created tints, shades and muted rovings of the blend. The third was also a proportional exercise, in which I started with turquoise, gold & maroon. Jill was an exceptionally organized & methodical teacher, helpful, encouraging & fun. What an awesome class!






The evenings were filled with fun things, like the CD drop spindle with rubber gloves contest, and the one-legged drop-spindle. Fun was had by all!

1 Comments:

Blogger nann said...

This is a great blog! I'm living vicariously with all your travel pics. It sounds like the conference was fantastic, and your dyed roving is amazing!

Thanks for leaving your good wishes about our lost Lu search on my blog. It helped a lot--we are missing her a great deal.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home