Thursday, April 06, 2006

Happy Feet



So here's what happened. I was blissfully jumping from blog to blog, reading as I sometimes do when I have a few minutes to spare, when I came across the most wonderful idea. Where I got it from. . . who knows, but some very creative blogger out there was my inspiration. She (I do believe it was a "she") had taken two dissimilar self-patterning sock yarns, and alternated rows while knitting, to create some *very interesting & unique* socks. So I thought to myself, perhaps this would be a good way to use up the bits of leftovers that I've accumulated in my five (can it be five already?) years of knitting. I have a tote bag full of leftover bits, and from it I pulled six compatible yarn balls - five Regia & a Trekking. Voila! Happy feet! Why it is that my socks almost always match is beyond me. . . the only time they don't is if I'm using variegated yarn, in which case I get fraternal twins rather than identical. The Happy Feet are pretty darn close to identical.

The second photo is of lace projects in progress. I started a Tina Shawl KAL at my LYS 2/1/06. We are all making great progress on this (I'm probably the behindest of the group), and this shawl is a total joy to work. Not too complicated for any of the knitters, and very pretty. It is the white shawl pictured. The dark shawl is the Inky Dinky Spider, which has been more than challenging for me. But after ripping out 16 rows & redoing, I think I am back on track with only one mutant spider. It's living in a bag for awhile. (The large ball of yarn behind the lace shawls just sneaked into the photo. . . it wants to be a sweater.)


While I was recuperating from a series of bugs (laryngitis, sinus infection), I plied close to 1000 yards of three ply Fantasy Fibers multicolor & Shetland heavier-than-laceweight yarn. It'll be a shawl when it grows up, too. I have to spin about 500 more yards, but it's a fun spin with all the different colors in the batts. I can hardly wait to start knitting on that shawl.

The last photo is of my son & his new friend, at the Yuma Camel Farm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

Love those socks! I've done something similar, except I use two strands of sock yarn together on size 3 needles. I like thick socks and I like them to go faster. Sometimes I use two different self-patterning yarns, sometimes one is a solid. It's a great way to use up little balls of sock yarn.

I put a link to your blog on my blog - come visit me!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home