Thursday, March 09, 2006

One Warped Woman

I've taken the plunge. My new loom (which arrived last June) has not yet had a warp on it. This is a disgrace, and my dearest of friends have not ceased to remind me. And I agree. I can't figure out what has been the hangup, other than:
a. An acute case of procrastination
b. Maybe a little bit of ADD (okay Friends, you can stop giggling now. . . how about some popcorn?)
c. Issues having to do with a cross bar from the back beam not securely staying in place, but rather sproinging up at random intervals and then dangling from the back beam
d. Life (which is good, mind you, it just keeps me busy)

So, this week, I ventured forth and warped the loom. Voila!



It is a Louet Delta loom with 8 harnesses, which should keep me occupied for a very long time. My former loom was a 4 harness LeClerc Nilus jack loom, and I loved its simplicity. The new loom is a countermarche, a different system which allows the shed (or space between raised & lowered shafts) to be wider, allowing easier passage of the shuttle. Perhaps it's intimidation that has held me back. I admit to being overwhelmed more than a bit, while it was being put together by DH (who does not weave & hasn't a clue, but who nevertheless was willing to tackle the assembly). But I really think it was the sproinging (see "c" above). That is not an issue now that a warp is actually *on* the loom. Yet.

I truly appreciate the ease of treadling. Oh. My. Gosh. I haven't strained a muscle *anywhere* *yet* operating this new loom. It has back-hinged treadles, which I had heard would make a difference. It's unbelieveable. I'm a happy camper.

Sweater? What sweater?

Shawl? What shawl?

Oh, and just because I thought that this photo was one of the most adorable that my hubby has ever taken, I'm posting a little alpaca friend that we met on Salt Spring Island last fall.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

And a darn nice warp it is, dear friend.

d2

2:22 PM  
Blogger Beatriz said...

This has to be the most photogenic alpacas I have ever laid eyes on. This is a you should consider entering in your County or State fair if there's a photography category.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Beatriz said...

Forgive my grammatical errors!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home