Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Take an Aspirin a Day


Well, folks, I had a bit of a scare recently. I had a very tiny stroke. I'm very lucky that it was just a warning shot, but it certainly gave me a bit of a shock, especially since I'm not 60 yet.

I get migraines. Several years ago they got to the point that I was having about four a week - time for medical intervention. So now I take medication daily to prevent them, which works quite well. I still get them periodically - now maybe one or two every month or so, but they're no longer the throbbing, puking-my-toenails-up variety. They're much milder. Typically, I have a bit of facial numbness beforehand. And I use Imitrex or Amerge, or sometimes even just Excedrin Migraine and those help a lot. I should also mention that I have identified several triggers, and diligently try to avoid them (things like lack of sleep, bananas, avocados, red wine, Swiss cheese).

It was the end of June that I had a really bad headache again, one of those up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-puking-of-the-toenails variety. I took my medication and felt better, but the left facial numbness remained, and still does to this day. Strange. It had never been that way before. So off to the family practice doc, who ordered an MRI and sent me off to the neurologist. Although the MRI is normal, the symptoms remain so the neurologist feels it most likely was a very small stroke, too small to be detected by the MRI. And my left arm has lost some sensation, too, which I didn't even realize until I saw the first doctor.

I've often suggested to friends that they take an aspirin a day - it acts as a mild anticoagulant and is supposed to prevent strokes. I just rarely remembered to take it myself. (I can't even remember to take my ginko biloba.) But now I'm being religious about it. Just thought I'd pass along the word. A baby aspirin should be enough, but I take the adult one because
that's what I have at home. So, to all of you who may be approaching that age - take an aspirin a day.

The hydrangeas are from my garden. I've always wanted one this blue, and I just love it! (I basically feel like I've died & gone to heaven at our new house. We are so happy to be here. I'll tell you about the sheep next time. . .)

4 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

Oh Yvonne, how scary for you! And how fortunate it was so small. I had to smile when I read about the ginko; isn't it supposed to help improve memory (???) Your hydrangeas are a lovely blue. Do you use a special fertilizer to get tham that way? Now, off to take an aspirin.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

How frightening! So glad that you're recovering. I need to go dig out that baby aspirin from my medicine cabinet. I think we're in about the same age range. Getting old isn't for sissies, is it?

6:40 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Hi Yvonne. That IS scary. I'm glad you are okay & it wasn't worse. I also get headaches - complicated migraines - with odd facial numbness. Hot dogs are a bad trigger so I completely avoid them. Some of your triggers are unusual to me - the bananas, avocado and swiss cheese. I don't think those things have ever affected me, but I'll be more alert next time I have those things just to see.

Your hydrangea is gorgeous!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Tina T-P said...

Sheep, did I hear you say "sheep"?

Hopefully all your activities will be a good rehab and get you back "up to snuff" in no time.

T.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home