Sunday, July 22, 2007

Highland Games Sheep-to-Shawl


I'm just a bit behind on my posts. So this is what I did *last* weekend, when the Highland Games were in Mount Vernon, Washington. My Spindrifters group, part of Northwest Regional Spinners' Association, held a sheep-to-shawl demonstration. . . well, technically a fleece-to-shawl, as the sheep had already been sheared & fiber washed. We used a yummy silver/gray Romney this time, a donated fleece from one of our members. We picked & carded, then spun and wove a shawl in a waffle weave. Of course I bought raffle tickets on it - it'd coordinate very well with my Goodwill tartan skirt. Wish me luck!


There were two new brands of spinning wheels at the demo this year. One was Louet's new Victoria wheel, and it's owner says it's a great portable wheel which folds up & travels easily in its backpack. The other was a wheel handmade by one of our member's hubby, Doug Dodd. He doesn't have a name for it that I know of yet, but it's very compact and a very different design. It gets good reviews from its owner, too.


It's always great to see & hear the bagpipe bands, & love those kilts! Wish I could convince hubby & sons to wear them!

3 Comments:

Blogger LavenderSheep said...

Wow! It looks like you had a good time! I have gone to a couple of Scottish games and I have been involved with a Sheep-to-Shawl contest, but never at the same time.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great pics, Yvonne! Alas, I wish I could say that kilts and bagpipes did if for me...I'm more of a tight jeans and jazz horns kind of a gal.

d2

3:35 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. The shawl looks great on the loom. Good luck on the raffle!

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home