Sunday, April 22, 2007

JL Don't Peek

I've been busy with numerous & varied projects since last post, and thought I'd show you one of them. This is going to be a baby quilt, for a friend's almost-born granddaughter. The baby is due within a week. Nothing like leaving it until the last minute. . .

This pattern is the quickest and easiest quilt I know how to make. It is a reversible Roman Stripes, which gets quilted as I sew the strips of fabric on. I will be sewing through multiple layers of fabric & batting so I use a walking foot. Here's how it's done.

1. Cut squares of relatively stable batting. I use Warm & Natural. The squares can be any size, but I usually go for 13 1/2". I'm making 12 blocks, so I cut 12 squares. You can make your quilt as many blocks as you want, and you can make them any size that you want. Mark a diagonal line on both sides of the square (same point-to-point on both sides).

2. Cut squares of two main fabrics, larger than the batting squares - I usually cut them about 14 1/2". I'm making this quilt 3 X 4 blocks, so a total of 12 blocks. I cut six squares of fabric because they're cut in half, diagonally. (If you were making 20 blocks, you would cut 10 squares of fabric & cut those in half diagonally.)


3. Place one triangle of fabric on each side of the square, on opposite corners. The print should show, right side up, and the triangles should cover the diagonal lines which are drawn on each side of the square.

4. Now, place a strip of contrast fabric, right side down, over the diagonal edges of both the fabrics. You should have four layers of fabric + batting sandwiched in the middle.

5. Locate the corner points of the batting under the fabrics & make dots on the top layer of fabric, at those corner points. Then draw lines lightly to mark the diagonal of the square, so that you can see exactly where your first line of stitching will be. Sew on that line, diagonally, from point to point.

6. Fold the contrast strips back on both sides of the block, and iron. Then place another strip on each side, progressing out each time a strip is added, toward the point. When I'm doing a different color on each side, I do all the strips for one side at a time, using a bobbin thread that matches the bottom layer, so that the quilting stitches blend in with the fabric. Then after one side is done, I change bobbin thread to coordinate with the other side, and then add those strips.
*Note - be sure to iron after adding each strip.

7. After all your blocks are made, trim edges to make the blocks square again. Be sure that the diagonal seam runs right down the middle. I usually wind up removing 1/8" - 1/4" to get the blocks back to square.

Next time, sashing & binding. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

What a great tutorial! And what a neat way to make a quick but pretty quilt. Hmm. You're giving me ideas.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Neat. :-)

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home