Saturday, October 21, 2006

Getting a Dog off the Loom


I've had the same project on my big loom since weaving class which ended last month. It was supposed to be my final project, but alas, all I finished by the end of class was the sample. It's a summer & winter design, a photo of which I found in a book, and then tried to construct by figuring out the block threading & treadling. It worked. It's now done. At least the weaving part. When it gets out of the wash it will become a tote bag. Woohoo!

Since the end of the class, my head has been spinning with other ideas I want to do. . . just haven't been able to get back to the loom to finish off this last little bit of work. It didn't help that I decided after doing the sample to add just a few threads for selvage and therefore, had to devise some way of providing tension. Eventually. . . I came to a solution. So you will see, in the photo, that the added threads are weighted with two hemostats, two wrenches and some of my hubby's fishing weights. Just barely adequate. I could have probably used a bit more weight but stopped short of borrowing a downrigger ball.


Now I just need to decide what to weave next. . . the badly needed kitchen towels, or placemats which will actually *coordinate* with my dishes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jiggledy said...

Your title is a misnomer. This project is beautiful, Yvonne, not a dog at all! I can't wait to see it in its final form! D2

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home