Saturday, July 05, 2008

Summer 2008

This summer is whizzing by. Things have been a blur, so I will just tell you a few highlights.

We went to Black Sheep Gathering in Eugene OR last month. It was great fun to gather with other shepherds and fiber folk. Tina at: http://ablipontheradar.blogspot.com/ has a wonderful post with lots of photos, and it’s definitely worth a look. We came home with three new members for our little flock. They’re all CVM/Romeldale ewe lambs, and are (left to right) Bliss, Amity & Arlyss. Amity & Arlyss came in second and third in their category. We are up to ten sheep now.

It’s shearing season, so Doug & I are working together to make it as comfortable for the girls as possible. We’re not fast. They’re not pretty when they’re done, but at least we can get the fleece off & they’re set for summer. Here is Anemarie before and after shearing. I have tried everything to keep them calm during the procedure, and what seems to be most effective is a combination of Bach’s Rescue Remedy & Jedi Mind Tricks. They get very fidgety when they have to pee but other than that, they’re pretty much okay with it.



We had a few really hot days recently. . . so hot that my chickens have been panting. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Daisy (handsome rooster) is pictured here with a couple of the girls. Sadly, if his ungentlemanly behaviour continues, his new name will be “soup”. I don’t care how pretty he is. He had a little “time out” today to give the girls a rest.


I’ve been knitting away on the Oregon shawl, and am 1/4 of the way through the edging, which zig-zags around the entire perimeter. If I keep on track I should be able to get it done in time for the county fair. Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

No wonder you've been somewhat incommunicado, Yvonne! Sheesh! Sounds like you're having a blast though and that's wonderful!

Love,
D2

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home