Friday, March 14, 2008

Meet Shaela, Monk & Teeger



Our little family is growing again this week - and again, in threes. We were so blessed to have Shaela join our family last Sunday. She is an exceptionally well-behaved dog. She must have had plenty of love and attention in her previous homes. I thank those people, whoever they were, for their care of this girl. She's just the sweetest thing.
Just a day after we got Shaela, we brought Monk and Teeger to a friend's farm, to stay there until our fences are done. (Fences will come right after the barn. The barn is slated for the end of this month/beginning of next month.) Monk and Teeger are huacaya alpacas, both black. Monk is larger & has some reddish brown in his coat. Teeger is a blue/black. Both are totally stunning. And yes, they're named for characters in the "Monk" TV show (our favorite). Teeger already had his name, and since Monk didn't respond to his former name anyway ("Cocoa") we decided a change wouldn't disrupt his existence any more than it already was.

This is a new adventure for us. We feel like we're getting a good grip on sheepy behavior, but have cracked the books again for camelids. I am grateful beyond words to the friends who have stepped forward to make this happen for us. Nancy thought of us when she heard of the boys needing a new home, and Deborah willingly allowed us to bring them to her farm, which has ample lush pasture. And Deborah has been very helpful in explaining behavior & helping us watch over Monk, who has developed a bit of a limp since his transport. So far, we're just observing, but if needed, well, I guess I could pack him into my VW Beetle with the roof open to get him to the vet. (Thank goodness, though, our vet makes house calls.)

Needless to say, there has been no knitting time this week. With our new beasts, and a whopping cold, I'm doing all I can to keep up with the basics. It'll pass. In the meantime I'm taking my vitamins.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

Oh Alpacas! I'm so envious! They are delightful creatures. I know you will enjoy them.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I cannot wait to meet all of the new members of your family, Yvonne! Maybe I can come out sometime in the next few days (perhaps this weekend). You do know I'm living vicariously through you because of all your furry (and now, feathery) people!

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home