Sunday, January 22, 2006

2006 Knitting Olympics


When Stephanie Pearl-McPhee offered the idea of knitting as an Olympic event, I was quite happy to take on the challenge. After all, we will be spending substantial amounts of time in front of the TV, and a lot of knitting happens under those circumstances. See http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/olympics2006.html for Knitting Olympic details. :-) I have been in training since I took on this challenge. This has entailed finishing a sweater currently on the needles, which is the same pattern I will be using as my Olympic event. It has taken me quite a bit longer for this sweater than the 16 days of Olympic competition, so will be a worthy challenge. I will be altering the pattern from a pullover to a cardigan with buttons, and making it to fit my son's girlfriend (who, thankfully, wears a smaller size than I do). We went on a yarn hunting expedition & came up with a lovely combination that is pretty darn close to gauge (so I'll be fudging the math a bit, too). It is a combination of Harrisville knitting yarn + Misti Alpaca sport weight carried together. The Harrisville gives body that the alpaca lacks, and the alpaca gives warmth & softness. What a great combination! I've swatched & will be ready to start when the time comes (2/10/06, lighting of the Olympic flame). The "training" sweater body is done. I have left to do the hood & sleeves.

And Now for Something Completely Different: PUZZLE MANIA


Night before last the kids came over to do laundry. We ended up playing a game of Scrabble, and then after that, got sucked into the puzzle that was in progress on the dining room table. I am happy to announce that we finished it at 1 a.m. Way cool puzzle. . . challenging, but not too. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home