Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ho Ho Ho 2011!

We’re going to completely ignore the fact that it’s been over a year since I blogged at Aquarian Hamster. It happens. Hubby & I are well (other than a whopping cold) & I have no excuses to offer. So here I am. I suppose I could consider my superpower to be Procrastination. . . I am, as a matter of fact, cooking (Thanksgiving) turkey for dinner tonight.

I’ve been trying to avoid getting into that phase of the Christmas season that leaves no time whatsoever to get an unreasonably humongous pile of knitting projects done, bringing on an exponentially increasing state of panic. The kids’ (not-knitted) gifts were done last summer & I am just making a few odds & ends - little projects that don’t require massive allotments of time. Yay!

I did manage to get to both performances of THE MESSIAH, done by the Northwest Chorale. My #3 son plays oboe in the Starry Nights Chamber Orchestra (yes, he’s a pro). The performances were *breathtaking*. I can’t find adequate words to describe the soloists. This production happens every other year. Doug & also I went on our annual downtown Seattle visit, staying at the Fairmont Hotel, where he attends an annual meeting. We always enjoy the festive atmosphere there. We saw A CHRISTMAS CAROL at ACT, which was a fund-raiser for Children’s Hospital in Seattle.

I have had time to relax a bit more throughout the year, and have to admit that this is my first real cold all year! OMG! Part of the more relaxed pace is that my hubby, Doug, has cut down on his work hours. That makes him available to help with our farm & flock. The truly wonderful thing is that he really enjoys it all. Loves the beasties, loves his tractor, and doesn’t mind hauling alfalfa pellets by the ton from the farm store home, and doesn’t mind climbing up to the hay loft to pitch down bales. The biggest plus is that he’s a great guy & fun to be around, to boot. :-)



We celebrated our 30th anniversary with a cruise last August. We took a Holland America Lines ship, the Prinsendam from Amsterdam through the Kiel Canal to the Baltic Sea, visiting Germany, Estonia, St. Petersburg (Russia), & Scandinavia, ending up in London. What a wonderful time! We particularly loved Estonia & Sweden. We hope to get back, and will take a land-based trip next time, so that we can explore the different countries more thoroughly. Cruising (although wonderful) allows for shore excursions which provide mostly a “sampler plate” - just a taste of each port of call. I did manage to come home with yarn from many of our day trips. :-)


On the knitting front, I’ve finished a pair of leafy fingerless mitts which went to a friend. I hope to write up the pattern (my own design, using a lacy leaf pattern from Barbara Walker’s Treasuries). Also finished some Selbuvotter Poodle mittens. I have been trying (for years) to break my lace knitting obsession, & progress to color work and cables. It’s not been an easy transition. I have both kinds of projects lying dormant in baskets until I finish my remaining wee little Christmas projects. So, assuming that I don’t get seduced by yet another lacy, frothy, delicate shawl (as if I seriously needed more to wear in the barn), I should be able to return to my new endeavors by December 26. . . this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy said...

So good to hear from you again! Sounds as if you have certainly been productive with your time. Hubby and I celebrate 40 years in 2012 and are seriously considering a European cruise.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home